Every Wednesday, our students attend an Advisory period following Community Meeting.
The Purpose of Advisory:
Working together with purpose:
- Be a team that actively supports each other and views each other with interest.
- Accomplishing this will address a number of the state career development goals in the Common Core Standards! Love has a purpose.
- To build effective communication, problem-solving and listening skills.
- To teach ways to take responsibility for the success of the group and know how each individual can best contribute.
Academic, career and college tracking and guidance:
- Create each student’s Education Plan.
- Maintain a file of the student’s resume, planning activities and best work.
- Advise about academic choices.
- Advise about internship and academic opportunities outside of school.
- Track and discuss meaning of standardized test scores.
- Advise about college choices and application process.
- Alert colleagues to academic issues that students talk about in advisory. Facilitate communication with parents when that seems necessary.
Service: tracking and advising
- Work with Service Services to generate service ideas and opportunities.
- Track student service hours.
- Do a group substantial service project.
Teaching basic life skills:
- See Career Development and Employment Foundations the state graduation requirements. We will present some information on that list in Advisory, and much elsewhere.
Community building and issue discussion:
- To build group spirit, morale and supportive peer relationships.
- To facilitate community governance and conversations.
- To promote an awareness of diversity and tolerance.
- To understand the school’s social, cultural and political environment.
- To promote character development and explore moral dilemmas.
Provide leadership opportunity:
- Advisories are lead – and often designed - by student volunteers, who are coached by the school counselor and their Faculty Advisors.
Fulfill state graduation requirements.