Emergencies & Closures
In the event of weather-related or emergency school closure or delay, information will be communicated as follows:
School closure or delay:
- The district instantly publishes the information through Flash Alert. The site is available 24 hours a day. Flash Alert distributes emergency information to news and media outlets.
- The closure or delay will also be noted on the homepage of each website (www.riverdaleschool.com, www.RiverdaleHS.com and www.RiverdaleGS.com).
- An email is sent to all parents.
- An automated emergency phone call is sent to notify parents and staff, typically between 5:30-6 a.m. Phone numbers on record will be used, and caregivers will receive calls to all of their phones. NOTE: If a decision is made after 10 p.m., you will not receive a call until the next morning. Please check the other vehicles listed above.
- You will not receive any notification if schools are opening on time. If no information is reported, it means that schools are opening on time.
- What does a two-hour delay mean? A two hour delay would mean:
- High School start time – 11 a.m.
- Grade School start time – 10:30 a.m.
Severe weather conditions that occur during the school day:
In the event of severe weather conditions that begin during the school day, parents will be notified through local media as well as through our emergency phone system. If schools close early, students will be notified of the early dismissal time. Students who ride the buses will wait for their arrival and will be transported home as usual. Students, who walk, drive or bike to school, may leave at the time of dismissal. Please talk with your children and have a safety and a supervision plan in place in the event this course of action is required. It is critical that school phone lines remain clear for emergency situations.
In the event of any of these inclement weather situations, please refrain from calling the school, unless it is an emergency. It is imperative to keep our phone lines open during these times.
Many in our community live outside of Riverdale's boundaries, so there are multitude of factors to consider when it comes to inclement weather. In order to make these decisions, we actively consult with neighboring districts and are always in contact with our transportation company that drives our routes early in the morning.
In addition to FlashAlert, the district and school websites, phone calls and emails, you can also find closure information broadcast by the following news sources:
Radio stations that carry school closure information include: KEX, KXL, KUIK, KMUZ, KWBY, KXYZ, KFXX, KOPB, KGON, KXL, KDBX, KISN, KUPL, KWJJ, KKJZ, KKCW, KXYO, KKRZ, KKCW, KXYO, KKRZ, KFXX, KKCW.
Television stations that carry closure information include: KOIN, KATU, KGW.
Please direct any questions about emergency procedures to your child’s principal:
High School – 503-262-4844
Grade School - 503-262-4842