- Riverdale School District
Friday, July 31 eblast
Published July 31, 2020
RETURN TO LEARN
Riverdale's Fall Plan
Dear Riverdale Staff, Parents and Community,
With Governor Brown's recent announcement, we now know we will be in a Comprehensive Distance Learning, or 100% online learning format, for the opening of school. I acknowledge the wide range of emotions and the impact this presents on all of us, especially our students. We will need to lean on the metrics developed by Oregon public health officials to guide school boards and school officials on reopening plans. Click here for more information on Gov. Brown’s announcement.
Comprehensive Distance Learning at Riverdale this fall will include synchronous learning and scheduled classes. Our teachers will take attendance, assess learning on our typical grading scales and connect virtually with our students to foster and build relationships.
Family Community Engagement
Riverdale is committed to moving forward with a strong emphasis on our Family and Community Engagement. Recent feedback and dialogues highlight how important it is for us to listen and come together. Please join us on Aug. 4 at 4 p.m. to hear more, engage and participate in a question and answer session. Mark your calendars; more information to come.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our July survey where we welcomed your initial thoughts on models and moved to narrow options for Riverdale based on ODE's guidance back then. While opinions varied at the time, there were also encouraging commonalities. We remain at the drawing board with the rules rapidly evolving and changing. Click here for a more information from the surveys.
The high level details are summarized below.
- 77% of parents survey respondents would participate in Hybrid 1 (core at school), 59% in Hybrid 2 (core at home) and 11% in 100% CDL (online learning model).
- Teachers/staff had a strong desire to be in the classroom, but most considered it unsafe. Staff suggestions included:
• Students seeing and interacting with their teachers consistently
• Implementing consistent class schedules with more synchronous class time
• Maximizing opportunities for interdisciplinary projects
• Offering small group opportunities with clearly outlined expectations
We do our very best work as a district when we are united. In addition to future opportunities to engage, we will keep you updated weekly via email. The Fall 2020 Instruction Planning Team met this Wednesday and is meeting today with the following direction for the week:
- Define and articulate expectations and promising practices per ODE’s new Comprehensive Distance Learning guidance, such as daily morning meetings/announcements and teacher-facilitated synchronous learning K-12
- Create an internal webpage for teachers housing professional development resources for our teachers K-12 and define forthcoming professional development opportunities
- Further develop sample schedules for consistent delivery of Riverdale Comprehensive Distance Learning K-3, 4-6, 5-8, and 9-12 with norms for grade level teachers with consistent delivery of content
- Launch Seesaw in all K-4 classrooms and develop further use of Google Classroom 5-12 incorporating new Google technology
- Provide visibility to teacher summer activities and learning underway - hear their optimistic, can-do attitudes and their enthusiasm to connect with their students this fall
ODE continuously updates our district’s requirements that inform our work. If you would like to see sample student schedules for CDL K-5 and 6-12, links to those documents are found below. We invite you to Riverdale School District’s new website page Return to Learn.
- Comprehensive Distance Learning July 2020
- Comprehensive Distance Learning Requirement Overview
- K-5 Sample Comprehensive Distance Learning Sample Instructional Day Schedule
- 6-12 Sample Comprehensive Distance Learning Sample Instructional Day Schedule
Please see our Return to Learn FAQs section of our RSD website for more information.
Let’s keep the lines of communication open and work toward creative solutions together. With your support and engagement, we can knock this year out of the park in a unique Riverdale way!
Joanna Tobin, Fall 2020 Instruction Team Leader
Fall sports registration has been delayed until we can receive further guidance from OSAAon the opportunities we may safely provide for our student athletes given the governor's new announcement.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Upcoming School Board Meeting
- Monday, Aug. 3 at 6 p.m. - Regular Board Meeting