- Riverdale High School
ACT & ACT Aspire testing right after spring break + test prep classes
Posted on Feb. 26, 2019
On Tuesday, April 2, following Field Studies and Spring Break, Riverdale juniors will take the ACT plus Writing (a paper and pencil test), while the freshmen and sophomores will take the ACT Aspire test (taken on Chromebooks). On test day, students should arrive early to allow time to check in. Testing will begin promptly at 9 a.m. Late students will not be permitted to test.
What to expect:
Seniors – field trip
During the testing, seniors will be visiting PSU’s library with Ms. Keldorf to conduct Senior Exhibition research.
Juniors – ACT
The ACT the juniors will take is a college entrance exam accepted by all four-year colleges and universities in the U.S. It is also an approved option for students to demonstrate Essential Skills of reading, writing, and mathematics required for graduation. (View testing schedule and what to bring below.)
Freshmen and sophomores – ACT Aspire
The ACT Aspire is a pre-test that predicts ACT scores, as well as academic strengths and college readiness. While the ACT is a paper and pencil test, the ACT Aspire will be taken electronically on RHS ChromeBooks. (View testing schedule and what to bring below.)
Students sometimes request that their parents permit them to leave campus after the tests have been completed. In the past, enough parents have given permission, with these unfortunate results:
- Any constructive activities that we plan for the afternoon are thwarted. Juniors, for example, will not be doing important college application prep if they leave.
- Large numbers of students are off campus and unsupervised. In the past, agreements made with parents about this time have not been followed, and bad decisions have been made by groups of students.
We request that you do NOT give your student permission to leave school early on this day.
Test day details:
- On test day, students should arrive by early to allow time to check in. Testing will begin promptly at 9 a.m. Late students will not be permitted to test.
- Juniors should bring at least two #2 pencils (with erasers) and an approved calculator.
- Freshmen and sophomores will be taking the ACT Aspire electronically. Students may bring pencils and approved calculators, but they are not necessary.
- Cell phones are not permitted in any of the testing rooms.
- There will be short breaks scheduled throughout the tests. Students are encouraged to bring snacks and water, which can be accessed during the breaks.
ACT ASPIRE (freshmen and sophomores)
9-9:15 a.m. – Set up and instructions
9:20-10:20 a.m. – Reading
10:20-10:35 a.m. – Break
10:35-11:40 a.m. – Math
11:40-11:55 a.m. – Break
11:55 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. – Science
9-9:10 a.m. – Set up and instructions
9:10-9:55 a.m. – English
9:55-10:55 a.m. – Math
10:55-11:05 a.m. – Break
11:05-11:40 a.m. – Reading
11:40 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. – Science
12:15-12:20 p.m. – Break
12:20-1 p.m. – Writing
After testing, students will have lunch and return to 4th and 5th period classes.